A quick call in by satellite phone this evening (5/18) at 10.30pm. They have reached and rounded Cape Scott. Despite arriving late, they decided to round the cape and make camp at the bay on the South East side. The winds started to build quickly near the end of their paddle today and they experienced some rough seas around the cape (surprise, surprise!). But at least they can rest better tonight knowing that they have passed one of the crux points of the trip before the bad weather hit.
The highlight of the day was sighting some black bears at close range. They spent a long time watching and photographing a large male bear chasing a female and cubs up a tree! They hope to have some good video footage of this.
They are safely in camp now watching the weather build. The forecast is for gale force SE winds tonight (35-45 knots) with seas building to 3-4 meters by tomorrow. Given that they are now on a south facing beach it may be difficult to get off in the morning! But given the forecast of strong SE and S winds tomorrow (to 35 knots) and a very long section of coast south east of them with no landing zones, hopefully they will take the opportunity to have a rest day and wait for better weather. If swells remain large even after the wind has dropped, they have the option of doing a 1/4 mile portage back across to the north facing beach to launch and round Cape Scott a second time! -- Jon